This scholarship has been donated through the generosity of Dr. Shanmugam and Alamelu Lakshmanan. Dr. Lakshmanan practiced medicine as a General Surgeon at Salem Township Hospital for 40 years, retiring in 2019. He is a much respected physician who demonstrated extreme passion for medicine, with excellence, dedication and outstanding service to the patients. He remains very loyal and dedicated to the
hospital and community. Dr. and Mrs. Lakshmanan came to Salem in 1979 and both of their daughters attended grade school and high school in Salem. Mrs. Alamelu Lakshmanan was a charter member of the Salem Township Hospital Foundation, which was established in January 2001. It is with great pleasure they have decided to set up a Health Career Scholarship, through the Salem Township Hospital Foundation, as a way to continue to provide to the community.
The following criteria are established for the award:
- The applicant must be a resident of Marion County
- The applicant may be a full time or part time student enrolled in an Allied Health Program at an accredited college to include but not limited to Nursing, Radiology, Respiratory Therapy, Physical Therapy, Medical Coding, Pharmacy or Medicine
- The applicant must submit a copy of his/her high school transcript and GPA, or a copy of his/her GED Diploma and test scores
- The recipient must maintain a GPA of 3.0 to be eligible for the award
- The candidate must agree that he/she will apply for employment first with Salem Township Hospital. If this term is breached by the candidate, he/she will be considered in default and will be asked to reimburse the STH Foundation
- One scholarship will be awarded for $1,000 and will be credited to the recipient’s account and is restricted to tuition, books and fees at an accredited college.